Monthly Archives: December 2017
- I bet you're wondering what on earth I’m talking about when I ask you ‘Is Chicken Little ruining your Business?’
- But hear me out!
- So as you all know by now I am always on the lookout for a good story and working with a fabulous company in North Wales recently we were discussing why deals were taking longer to close and decisions were harder to get, and they came up with this tale which I would like to share with you.
- From the book Rich Dad Poor Dad (what the rich teach their kids about money) by Robert Kiyosaki. They came across a chapter which really struck a chord with me.
- One of the problems we are seeing out there in the market at the moment is an awful lot of businesses have put everything on hold and simply won’t make any decisions on anything. Whether that be training, marketing, investing in staff or new products and services, there is just a lack of business related decisions being made. At first I had a fleeting thought- Is it the sales manager and their team making excuses for not closing the sale? But after having conversations with many businesses it appears that this decision making problem is largely across the board. Business to business or business to consumer, all are seeing a halt in decision making.
- In many Lead Gen Businesses, lead levels are being maintained but closing these deals is a lot harder. Even E-commerce businesses are seeing something similar with no real drop in traffic to the site but a clear drop in actual sales.
- Through the many conversations I’ve had about this there appears to be one common denominator the dreaded word “BREXIT” because of the media storm constantly talking of potential doom and gloom and the fact that no-one really knows what it is all going to mean. The real problem is that because of the uncertainty of what Brexit will bring everyone has stopped investing and moving forward and it’s not going to get any better any time soon and we've got at least another 16 months to go (can your business survive that long not moving forward?). Everyone is holding their cards to their chest and are unwilling to play the hand that they have been given.
- So back to Chicken Little, well within the book there is a chapter on “overcoming cynicism” and this is where Chicken Little comes in, If you remember the story of Chicken Little he was told by Foxy Loxy that the Sky was falling and ran round the farmyard warning the others of the impending doom, at which point this caused panic and there was utter chaos on the farm.
- We can all become a bit Chicken Little when fear and doubt cloud our thoughts. We all have doubts “am I good enough”, “are my competitors better than me” and thoughts like this can paralyse us. We all play the “what if” game from time to time and this can stop us as a business from moving forward. “What if we go into recession” “What if I invest and it doesn't work” “What if things just don't work out the way I planned” all these things cloud judgement and can get so loud that we fail to act on anything for the fear of “What If”.
- The thing is this, if we all run around saying “the sky is falling” then no-one moves and business becomes a stalemate, where smaller business will collapse and larger business will fail to make any ground going forward then things like recession and financial disaster are inevitable.
- In Rich Dad Poor Dad the conclusion is people who are filled with fear and doubt are willing to accept a far lower return. Doubt is expensive! and it is doubts and cynicism that keep most people poor and playing it safe. Don’t become fearful to take advantage of this golden opportunity to act when others won’t. Times of doubt and uncertainty create huge opportunities for those willing to take a reasonable risk.
- I always end with a question and this time it is this “How Chicken Little are you?” If you want to break out of the chaos in the Farmyard and give your business a much needed boost, NOW is the time to ACT. When times like these arrive there are numerous opportunities to really get ahead in your market but YOU have to seize each one, whilst everyone else is in dismay your bank balance can get a healthy injection if you choose to be decisive and want to move your business to the next level.
- If you want the success that our clients are achieving and rise above the worry and stress that others around you are having then why not give us a call and make the best decision you've ever made for your business.
- Let’s not give in to fear and doubt and push on decisively and stand out from the pack and steam forward. Just remember “There are no traffic jams on the extra mile”.
Roger Mellor of Adept Clearance and Cleaning Services Ltd. He brought us the amazing story of his Father's secret life during the Second World War. Roger's Dad left his position at an Insurance Company to join the Army and was quickly scooped up by the RAF to train as a pilot. This saw him on active service flying Hurricanes in Burma. At the end of the War Roger's Dad went back to his old life at the Insurance company and never really talked about his time during the war. It's only much later that it was discovered he had been awarded the DFC (Distinguished Flying Cross). Roger reminded us all that there are those that say a lot but do very little but there are also those that do a lot but say very little too. Our weekly inspiration slots cover anything from family stories like Roger's to an age old mantra to live by, why not come along to the group one week as a visitor and share what inspires you? Get in touch to book onto one of our weekly breakfast meetings by calling 0161 962 5195 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Martin Hood of Platinum IFS delivered the 10 Minutes at our meeting today, kicking off the first meeting of December! He provided a great overview of auto-enrolment and the different options available to employers and employees. The Pensions Regulator summarise the scheme; "Under the Pensions Act 2008, every employer in the UK must put certain staff into a pension scheme and contribute towards it. This is called 'automatic enrolment'. If you employ at least one person you are an employer and you have certain legal duties." If you've not got auto-enrolment boxed off for your business get in touch with Martin, he'll be able to give you full details on your duties as an employer and discuss the various options available for you and your team. Platinum Independent Financial Services offers advice on both personal and business matters and focuses on building lifetime relationships with individual clients and their families, their blog is always worth a read so check out their latest articles here.